Friday, July 10, 2009

Little Snippet

To all of my adoring fans (seems rather quiet in here, but I am sure that there is someone out there) I have decided to share a little piece of my work from the second installment to the "Entwined" series. This book is called "Unraveled". This portion of "Unraveled" is from Emma Gathers' point of view. She is an eight year old vampire. I hope you enjoy it. Oh, and please don't steal my work :)

At first, when I smelled it, I became overwhelmed with joy because of who I thought it was. I hadn't seen him in what would seem like years. I frantically started to look around in hopes of finding him. But, as I searched, I came back to reality and thought better of it. He wouldn't be here. It was impossible. Of all things possible, this was not. He wouldn't be here at this town, in this State. He was supposed to be elsewhere, with someone else. When I realized that it wasn't whom I hoped, I became filled with utter fear. If it wasn't who I wanted it to be then it was someone dangerous. It was the same someone that had been watching us secretively for days, but apparently couldn't watch us anymore. That was how thick his presence was in the air. We were in danger. All of us. Sean, because he was a human intermingling with vampires, holding our hands. This was evidence enough that he knew far too much about the immortals than he should. Benjamin and me because we were vampires. Enough said. The fact that we were immortal children made the bounty for our heads even higher. Even if we weren't children, we'd still be dead. There was no escaping that.

I immediately looked for him. I didn't have to look far though. He was not thirty feet in front of me, standing behind a rack of clothes, eyeing me maliciously. He would know what I was. Of course he would. He wouldn't have to think twice about it, unlike the humans who would never guess. His eyes told me that he knew. It didn't matter how much I pretended to be human, he would still know what I was. He had studied our kind for years; of this I was certain. His eyes frightened me.

I looked away, my heart racing. No. Of course my heart wasn't racing. If I were human it would be though. I could not lie about that. I then realized that I had to look at him. I had to. Showing him fear was a sign of me showing my defeat and I guess you could say my desperation for death.

I closed my eyes for only a second, remembering that I was a vampire and that I could handle this. I was stronger than this. With my eyes closed, I crouched down in an animalistic stance, slowly opened my mouth, exposed my fangs and hissed quietly. When I opened my eyes again, my entire being was focused on the cold, bloodthirsty eyes of the Wild One.....

J. S. R. Clark



No comments:

Post a Comment